What is the Best Hot Tub?
So, you’re looking for the best hot tub?
In order to find the hot tub that fits you best, it’s important to understand why you want a hot tub and how you are hoping it can benefit you.
Consider the top reasons for wanting a hot tub below. Which category fits you best?
- Relaxation & Stress Relief
- Pain Relief
- Improved Family Time
- Improved Backyard
Because different hot tubs are built to fit these different categories, the best spa for you will change depending on your needs and wants. For example, someone needing a spa for pain relief might want to choose a different spa than someone who is looking to spend more quality time with family and friends.
Best hot tub brands
With over 50 hot tub manufacturers worldwide, you may be a little overwhelmed about deciding on a hot tub brand.
Luckily, we’ve narrowed it down to the 3 brands that we consider to be the best. Here’s a little info on them.
Bullfrog Spas offers the most personalized and customizable hot tub. The patented JetPak Therapy System features 17 interchangeable JetPak massages. It is the only spa that allows you to find the jet massage for your specific needs and place it in the seat that fits your height.
Bullfrog Spas are also designed to be the most energy efficient hot tubs available. In fact, data from the California Energy Commission shows that Bullfrog Spas use less energy than any other hot tub in their class. Bullfrog Spas’ advanced plumbing design eliminates up to 90% of traditional plumbing, saving you power, energy, and money.
Bullfrog Spas also provides reliable, sturdy construction and simple water care systems to make your spa easy to maintain.
Hot Spring is the largest hot tub manufacturer in the industry and has over 900 dealer locations worldwide. These dealers pride themselves on great customer care.
Hot Spring features the ACE® Salt Water System. This unique system uses a diamond electrode to sanitize the spa water which means you’ll need fewer chemicals like chlorine and bromine.
Jacuzzi is the original and best-known hot tub brand. The Jacuzzi brothers invented the first hydrotherapy pump in the 1950s and popularized the use of outdoor hot tubs by the 1980s.
The Jacuzzi brand is known for quality and longevity. Each spa is built with high-quality materials and receives more than 250 quality checks before being shipped.
Hot tub brands to avoid
Now that you know about the best spa brands, what about the not-so-great ones?
To determine if a hot tub brand is one you should avoid, keep an eye out for the following:
Make sure you read reviews carefully when considering a hot tub brand. If the brand has a low star rating or has very few reviews, think twice before investing in one.
The majority of hot tubs are distributed through locally owned spa dealerships who can help deliver, install, and care for your spa.
Getting a hot tub on Amazon or a similar site might seem like a good deal, but what actually happens when the spa shows up? Most of these hot tubs are dropped on your driveway and you’re left to install it yourself.
And what about when a part breaks? Without a dealer who specializes in maintaining the hot tub brand, you may have trouble getting the parts you need or getting them fixed.
We recommend purchasing your hot tub from a reputable dealer or store that offers delivery, installation, and service.
The best spa manufacturers offer great warranty coverage. For example, Bullfrog Spas offers a lifetime warranty on the EnduraFrame spa frame and up to 10 years on the spa shell.
However, there are some manufacturers who don’t offer a satisfactory warranty because they know their hot tubs won’t last long. In any case, be sure to check out the warranty coverage before you buy.
Best hot tub for the price
Did you know hot tubs can cost anywhere between $2,000 – $20,000?
That’s quite a price range.
It’s safe to assume that a $20,000 spa is going to be better than a $2,000 hot tub, but what if you can’t afford the absolute best?
If you want to get the best hot tub for your money, consider these 3 things:
1. Quality parts – Don’t settle for a cheap spa because of a low price tag. These low-quality hot tubs break down easily which leads to frustration and additional money spent on maintenance. On the contrary, the best spas should last 10+ years and have great warranty coverage if things go wrong. We’d also recommend looking for hot tubs that are manufactured in the USA or Canada so you can be sure no corners are being cut.
2. Energy efficiency – Poorly designed hot tubs cost you lots of money in the long run because of high energy bills. Hot tubs built without proper insulation and efficient piping will have a harder time keeping the water hot and will use more electricity, in turn costing you more money.
3. Water care – Cheap hot tubs lack quality water care systems and filters. Because your spa water will get dirty quicker, you’ll need to spend more money on hot tub chemicals and deep-clean your spa more often. Look for a hot tub that offers an ozone or UV sanitation system to help save you money over the lifetime of the spa.
Many of the top hot tub brands offer high-quality spas with fewer features so you can get a great spa for less money. For example, check out the Bullfrog Spas R Series spas.
Best therapeutic hot tub
If you’re wanting a hot tub because of its therapeutic benefits, understanding hot tub jet options is important. The best therapeutic hot tub will have a variety of jet types, optimum jet placement, and sufficient jet power.
Let’s learn a little bit more about each.
Hot tubs should have a variety of jet types to cater to different muscle groups, the amount of soreness you have, and your relaxation preferences. Here are some examples of the best therapeutic jet options:
- Single pulse – slow and deliberate pulsing action that rhythmically loosens muscles and eliminates stress
- Dual pulse – medium pressure massage with 2 rapidly pulsating spinning jet nozzles for deep relaxation and stress relief
- Oscillator – unique and deliberate kneading action that is both therapeutic and soothing
- RainShower – smooth and lightly relaxing massage with a constant stream of gentle pressure
Jets are strategically placed throughout a hot tub to target each muscle in your body and provide optimum relaxation. If there is a specific muscle pain that you are hoping to relieve by using a hot tub, make sure the spa you choose has jets targetting that muscle. Not all hot tubs have jets targeting every muscle, but the therapeutic spas should target each of the following:
If you’ve ever used a public hot tub, you probably noticed that the jets weren’t as powerful as you maybe would have liked. This was likely the result of the hot tub having a pump with low horsepower.
The most powerful spa pumps have up to 5 horsepower. If hot tub therapy is your main reason for getting a spa, then a hot tub pump with less than 3 HP is probably not the best choice for you.
The problem with most spas is that the jets are fixed in place and the jet types are decided by the manufacturer. This leads to an attempt at a one-size-fits-all hot tub.
However, how many of us are actually the same size and have the exact same therapy or relaxation needs?
That’s why Bullfrog Spas came up with the JetPak Therapy System. With 17 interchangeable JetPak massages and varying seat heights, you can customize your hot tub so it’s the right hot tub for you.
See the full list of Bullfrog Spas’ JetPak massages and find the ones that are right for you.
Best hot tub for cold weather
Using a hot tub while it’s snowing is one of the most enjoyable experiences you can have in your spa. The top hot tubs are designed to be used year round and won’t have any problems when the cold weather comes.
But how can you know if your hot tub was built to withstand freezing temperatures and heavy snowstorms?
Consider these 3 things to be sure your hot tub will survive years of cold weather:
1. Insulation – There are generally 2 types of hot tub insulation systems. The best is a full foam system with internal pumps. This system is so good at heat retention, that even if your heater happened to get disconnected for a few days, it would keep your pipes from freezing.
2. Cover – A quality cover should secure tightly and prevent heat from escaping the hot tub. If you live in an area with lots of snow, make sure the cover is strong enough to support the added weight from the snow.
3. Construction – A hot tub frame built with wood or metal is not designed for winter (or any season for that matter) because it will rot and corrode over time. Look for a spa frame made of ABS or another durable composite material.
Best family hot tubs
One of the best benefits of hot tubs is the quality time you get to spend with your family and friends. A home spa offers the perfect setting to forget about work and school and to just enjoy one another’s company.
Mike N., a hot tub owner, said, “We have really enjoyed this hot tub and it has been great to sit in there with our kids and have conversations without cell phones involved.”
The best family hot tubs should have ample space to fit everyone. If you have young children, look for hot tubs that include shallow child seats so they can enjoy the spa, too. And read our hot tub safety tips for kids to make sure everyone has a fun, safe time.
Best hot tub features & accessories
Hot tubs come with incredible options to make your experience more fun, relaxing, and hassle-free.
Here are some of our favorite hot tub features and accessories:
- Built-in audio system
- Bluetooth capability
- Remote spa operation via an app
- Mood lighting
- Water features
To choose the perfect hot tub for your lifestyle, design your spa online. You can choose the size, jets, and features that meet your needs. You’ll even receive a quote directly from your local spa dealer.
Get an Instant Price Quote on a Hot Tub
Design Your Own Bullfrog Spa
Get an MSRP price quote on a Bullfrog Spa model in your area by starting with our Design Studio software. Build your spa just the way you like it. Once you finish, you’ll receive your instant price quote.