FROG® @ease® for Bullfrog Spas®
FROG Minerals + SmartChlor® self-regulating chlorine creates Fresh Mineral Water®
- Effectively kills bacteria 2 ways
- Keeps your water clean and clear
- Maintains a constant low level (0.5 – 1.0 ppm) of free chlorine
- Activates only when it is needed
While the FROG @ease system is intended to reduce the time and effort to maintain your spa, it’s important to follow all instructions. The FROG Water Care App can help with this. Download it for free at you app store.
- Check your spa water 1-2 times per week with FROG @ease Test Strips
- Maintain your spa’s pH, Total Alkalinity, and Hardness in the proper ranges
- Replace your SmartChlor Cartridges when empty
- Shock once a month with a non-chlorine shock like FROG Maintain
Sometimes, even when you seem to be following proper procedures, your experience may not match your expectations because there are many variables that go into water sanitizing.
To help, here are some common questions with answers and tips for troubleshooting and maintaining perfectly clean and clear water with FROG @ease for Bullfrog Spas:
Q: If I use standard test strips, I see a high total chlorine level but a very low free chlorine level in the water. Why is this?
A: The FROG @ease system uses SmartChlor technology, a unique form of chlorine that:
- Creates a chlorine reserve that is activated only when there is a demand. This reserve is read as total chlorine on a standard test strip and can be as high as 5 – 10 ppm but it’s in reserve – inactive until needed.
- Self-regulates the free chlorine level at a consistently low 0.5 ppm, which can be hard to read on a standard test strip. Since this level doesn’t change for the life of the cartridge, as long as the water stays balanced, there is no need to test for it.
- Has its own test strip that gives you an Out Indicator when the reserve is used up. If your test strip is lighter than the color on the bottle, it’s time to check or replace the SmartChlor Cartridge.
Q: What does it mean when my test strip is lighter than the color on the test strip bottle?
A: Your SmartChlor reserve level is low. This can be due to one of several reasons:
- Your SmartChlor Cartridge may be new. If you just installed a new SmartChlor Cartridge, it can take several days for the SmartChlor reserve to build up. Test again in 24 hours.
- Your SmartChlor Cartridge may be very low or empty. Remove the cartridge from the holder, drain the water, and shake it gently to feel if there is any SmartChlor left inside. If empty, shock the hot tub with FROG Maintain Non-Chlorine Shock (1 packet per 600 gallons) and replace with a new SmartChlor Cartridge.
- Your SmartChlor Cartridge setting may be set too low. Turn the dial to the next highest setting, and test again in 24 hours.
Q: My salesperson estimated that my SmartChlor Cartridges should last 3-4 weeks each, but they seem to be running out sooner than that. Why is that?
A: There are several possible answers to this question, along with a few tips for increasing cartridge life:
- Hot Tub Use:
Like all water sanitizers, SmartChlor use depends on spa use. The more contaminants (the number of people and frequency of use) that are introduced to your spa water, the faster your SmartChlor Cartridge will deplete. You can always be sure your spa has enough chlorine reserve available by checking your spa water with the FROG @ease Test Strips provided.
- Hot Tub Size:
Larger hot tubs need more sanitizer to ensure they stay clean and clear. This is directly related to hot tub use as typically larger hot tubs can hold more people which puts more demand on the sanitizer. Gallon size also determines your dial setting.
- Dial Setting:
The rate of SmartChlor release is related to the setting (1-4) selected on the dial and the water flow in the filter well area during spa use or filtration. Start with the dial setting listed in the manual for your hot tub model. Depending on how you use your spa, a lower setting may extend cartridge life, while maintaining adequate levels of SmartChlor in the water.
Tip: Although the recommended SmartChlor Cartridge dial settings have been evaluated to be effective in most cases, each specific use case is unique, including yours. You may need to experiment a bit to find the setting that works best for your use, and you may need to adjust the setting if usage patterns change.
Tip: People and their swimwear introduce most of the unwanted contaminants to a hot tub. To reduce the amount of possible organic contaminants introduced to your spa water:
- As much as possible, avoid entering your spa with sunscreen, lotions, deodorants, shampoos, or similar substances on your body, or detergents on your clothes.
- Do not wash swimwear you intend to wear in your spa with detergents. Many people keep a dedicated “spa” suit that is never laundered with detergent but simply rinsed well after use.
Rinse off in the shower before (and after) spa use.
Tip: Let guests know that it is helpful to shower before getting in the spa and provide suits that have not been washed in detergent. If you use your spa very frequently, at or near full capacity, especially with kids, or if you often have users from outside your household, it is wise to use a non-chlorine monopersulfate (MPS) shock like FROG Maintain™ immediately after a session. This will help maintain clear water, lowering demand for SmartChlor.
Tip: If your spa water ever appears a little murky in between water changes a simple non-chlorine shock treatment will often clear things up. Always use non-chlorine monopersulfate (MPS) shock products, like FROG Maintain, for these occasional clean up treatments.
Tip: When shocking your hot tub, never use a chlorine-based shock product (except when using FROG Jump Start® at start-up) These products introduce cyanuric acid (CYA) to the water which accumulates and can reduce SmartChlor effectiveness.
Tip: If you prefer to increase the length of your filtration cycle(s) beyond the factory settings, or if your spa is equipped with a dedicated filtration pump that runs all or most of the time, you may want to turn the dial on your SmartChlor Cartridge to a lower setting to reduce premature dissolving of SmartChlor.
*FROG @ease is available in the USA only. Cartridge holder included in most 2019 and later Bullfrog Spas and STIL spa models. Cartridge holder available online at shop.bullfrogspas.com or at your local Authorized Dealership in the USA. Fits 2013 and newer spas with dual filters.