Best BBQ Recipes for the 4th of July
Best BBQ Recipes for the 4th of July
Your 4th of July BBQ Will Rock Harder Than Lee Greewood Backed Up by Van Halen with These Barbecue Recipes
I’m not sure that the signers of the Declaration of Independence had this in mind, but the coming of another 4th of July always brings up a few poignant associations and memories that have accumulated over the years in my brain:
- Fireworks at my sister’s annual event, Cul du Sac of Fire, and this line from Apu on The Simpsons, “Celebrate the birth of your country by blowing up a small part of it.” (Say it out loud in an Indian accent for full effect.)
- Parades complete with falling-apart floats, super duper exuberant marching bands, and unattractively sweaty small town beauty queens with toothy grimaces perpetuating their inconceivably euphoric slow waves (nobody should have to wear those dresses for hours in 100 degree heat). Inevitably there is also an all-star baseball team with some wild-eyed star pitcher slinging salt-water taffy in my direction. It stings a little, may even cause a welt, but it tastes oh so delicious.
- BBQs in the backyard with an assemblage of jovial semi-related folk and a pile of delightfully tasty meats and other drippy delightful outdoor foods.
So, hopefully you get a chance to blow stuff up and attend that small town parade. And most of all, hopefully you have some great BBQ recipes for the 4th of July. Here are a few of my favorites.
Dr. Pepper Chicken on the Grill
I like Dr. Pepper’s 29 flavors. I like chicken. Enough said. This one is delightful, a tad bit spicy and super rich in flavor.
Enjoy it as a staple of your Fourth of July BBQ or make it to compliment your incredible array of tasty meat treats.
- Whole Chicken with Skin on
- Texas BBQ Rub
- Roasting Post
- Can of Dr Pepper
- Rinse chicken in cold water and dry with a paper towel.
- Coat the outside of the chicken with Texas BBQ Rub by gently rubbing it in to the meat.
- Refrigerate for 12/24 hours in a sealed Zip-lock bag.
- Preheat pellet grill for 30 minutes or gas grill for 15 minutes.
- Pour about half of the Dr. Pepper into a cup. You can drink the rest and enjoy.
- Add about a teaspoon of your BBQ seasoning into the Dr Pepper and pour the mix into the opening on the top of your roasting post and place your whole chicken on the roasting post in the middle of the grill.
- Close the lid and roast the chicken at a medium heat until the skin is golden with brown-black edges.
The internal temperature should reach about 170 F, usually 1 hour to 1 ½ hour depending on the type and heat of the grill.
Now savor the flavor.
Slow-Going Baby Back Ribs on the BBQ
No real 4th of July Barbeque is complete without a delicious rib recipe. You can’t beat the fall-off-the-bone goodness of some baby back ribs on the BBQ.
I would like to thank Bullfrog Spas customer Rebecca Christensen for sharing this great rib recipe with us a while back.
This tasty recipe takes a little longer to prepare but it is worth every mouth-watering second.
- 3 racks of baby back ribs (double for more)
- 2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Onion Salt
- 2 Tablespoons of your favorite Seasoning Salt
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- Mix all dry rub ingredients together and gently rub into ribs. Be sure to coat the ribs as evenly as possible. Place seasoned ribs in refrigerator overnight to allow for the flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Preheat a Traeger or other pellet grill on smoke setting to approximately 225 degrees.
- Place ribs on the grill for approximately 2 hours.
- Wrap ribs in tinfoil and continue to cook for approximately 4 more hours.
- Unwrap and baste with Famous Dave’s “Rich and Sassy” BBQ Sauce and cook for 10-15 more minutes.
Now enjoy the mouth-watering reward for your patience and hard work.
Grilled Zucchini and Summer Squash with Yogurt Sauce
This delightful recipe is hearty and flavorful while being healthy at the same time.
Enjoy it as a main dish for those who don’t do meat for your summer bbq. Or, of course, it makes the perfect compliment to any of the delicious proteins above.
- 1 cup/ 227g plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon/ 15 ml tahini
- 2 tablespoon / 30 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- About 6 (each) zucchini and summer squash, sliced lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons/ 60 ml olive oil (divided)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Mix together the first 5 ingredients along with a pinch of salt and 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil. Set aside while making the vegetables.
- Arrange coated vegetables on grill rack (over medium-high heat); grill vegetables 8 minutes or until just tender, turning once. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Place vegetables on a platter. Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with sauce.
Your whole party will love this one.
More Great Recipes for the 4th of July on Pinterest
These are obviously a few of my favorite barbecue recipes for the 4th of July and other summer parties but this only scratches the surface. Be sure to check out our Pinterest board Recipes for Outdoor Dining for more great ideas on foods for the 4th.
Read 25 Questions You Need to Ask Before Buying a Hot Tub!
Answer all of your important questions before you buy. This informative buyer’s guide helps you ask the right questions and get the answers you need about a new spa. It’s a quick read you simply shouldn’t miss before buying your new hot tub.