Soaking in hot tubs has been a part of human life for thousands of years. These are nature’s spas and their healing powers are real. Here are just a few of the most beautiful hot springs in the world that have been helping to heal bodies and soothe spirits throughout the millennia.
Arenal Springs, Costa Rica
Costa Rica is home to several volcanoes that help to power geothermal activity, which makes the country rich in hot springs locations. Arenal volcano in the northwest is still an active but technically dormant volcano that warms the streams that flow through the area. As much as 97 percent of the hot springs are created by rainwater warmed by the earth’s core and forced upward again. The other 3 percent is ground water that is warmed by the magma of the volcano. You can either stay at the luxury resort near the pools or simply get a day pass to enjoy the pools.
According to archeological evidence, the pools of Bath have been used by humans as far back as 8,000 B.C. The formal Roman baths were constructed by the Romans in the 1st century, and these ruins can be seen at the site today. The pools are made by rainwater that is forced up through faults in the limestone beneath the ground. The water contains more than 42 beneficial minerals, making it the perfect restorative cure for a number of health problems.
Dunton Hot Springs, Colorado
Native tribes once enjoyed the warm springs that form in the Dunton area. Iron, magnesium and traces of lithium are found in the waters that are heated by tectonic forces. Stay in a cabin on-site or purchase a day pass to enjoy these healing waters.
Ma’in Hot Springs, Jordan
These springs are located in a desert valley near the Dead Sea. The springs that originate in the highland plains of the country are warmed in underground lava fissures. There they pick up minerals like magnesium, calcium, potassium and hydrogen sulfide. Try a deep tissue massage under the natural thermal waterfalls that occur here.
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Mexico has many mineral springs, but those at San Miguel de Allende offer some of the most idyllic views. Ancient people of the area have used the springs and waterfalls for healing purposes for centuries. Enjoy the warm waterfalls or soak in the thermal pools of this stunning natural area.
Saturnia, on one of Tuscany’s hilltops, provides the setting for warm, mineral springs that have been used for centuries for therapeutic purposes. The warm pools are heated by Mount Amiata, a dormant volcano and contain sulfur, bicarbonates, alkaline and plankton.